TL-D400S JBOD storage enclosure allows you to back up and expand your QNAP NAS, Windows® and Ubuntu® computers and servers. The TL-D400S features four 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s drive bays and comes with a QXP PCIe card for connecting the enclosure using a SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) cable. It provides reliable read/write performance for smooth storage and backup tasks.
1. QNAP recommends following the standard procedure for connecting or disconnecting the TL-D400S. For more information, please see the TL-D400S user manual.
2. The TL-D400S can only be used as an individual storage pool or volume on the NAS. Its storage pool or volume cannot be combined into the connected NAS. NAS applications cannot be installed on the TL-D400S.
3. The TL-D400S only supports QNAP NAS running on QTS 4.4.2 (or above) or QuTS hero operating system.
High-performing TL SATA JBOD
The TL SATA JBOD supports multi-lane SATA 6Gb/s transfer, and each SATA lane directly connects to a single SATA drive to help improve performance. With the 1-1 high-speed channel, the TL SATA JBOD delivers excellent transfer performance.
Note: The SFF ports and drive slots order: SFF port 1 to HDD slot 1-4, SFF port 2 to HDD slot 5-8, SFF port 3 to HDD slot 9-12, SFF port 4 to SDD slot 1-4 (TL-D1600S)
Flexible Storage Configuration and Management
The TL-D400S provides software-controlled storage configuration for greater management flexibility. You can configure RAID and monitor JBOD enclosure and disk health with Storage & Snapshots when connected to a QTS or QuTS hero NAS, or with the QNAP JBOD Manager utility when connected to a computer.
Learn More:Storage & Snapshots,QNAP JBOD Manager
Use the Storage & Snapshots Manager in QTS or QuTS hero to configure the TL-D400S as a storage enclosure for your QNAP NAS. The NAS expansion storage mode supports various NAS functions, including storage pools and snapshots. With TL-D400S, you can easily expand storage capacity.
The QNAP JBOD Manager is a desktop utility for monitoring the TL-D400S on Windows® and Ubuntu® computers. You can quickly obtain disk statuses, JBOD information and health, view fan rotation speed, and check for firmware version updates.
What you need to know
You can connect your TL-D400S to Windows® and Ubuntu® computers through SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) high-speed cable and use built-in utility to manage RAID configuration.
1. QXP series PCIe cards do not support Mac Pro.
2. If there are any unexpected boot failures during QXP PCIe cards installation on the host, please check with the host manufacturing company for any new BIOS updates. Alternatively, you can try disabling the boot from the PCIe slot function or disable the external graphics card option.
Intelligently Monitor JBOD Enclosure Status on PC and Servers with QNAP JBOD Manager
The QNAP JBOD Manager is a desktop utility for monitoring the TL-D400S on Windows® and Ubuntu® computers. You can quickly obtain the disk statuses, JBOD information and health, view fan rotation speed, and check for firmware version updates. All device events are recorded, and will send desktop notifications when a system alert occurs.
1. You can set up new software RAID groups in [Windows Storage Spaces] in Windows 8 (or later versions).
2. Windows Server 2012 R2 (or later version) users can set up new software RAID groups in [Server Manager].
3. Ubuntu 18.04 users need to pass commands into [mdadm] to set up new software RAID groups.
4. Does not support macOS.
Learn More:QNAP JBOD Manager
Flexibly Expand Connectivity with QXP PCIe Cards
Install an exclusive QXP PCIe card onto your QNAP NAS, Windows® or Ubuntu® PC to connect the JBOD enclosure via SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) cable , for easy and flexible storage expansion.
1. The TL-D400S package includes one QXP-400eS-A1164 card (can be purchased additionally) and one 1M SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable.
2. A SATA JBOD storage enclosure can only connect to one NAS. Users can only use QNAP JBOD Manager to view statuses of devices and disks installed with QNAP expansion cards and JBODs. Users can only create single storage expansions when the QXP PCIe card is not connected to a TL SATA JBOD enclosure.
3. TL SATA JBOD storage enclosure can install different QXP PCIe cards. For example, one NAS can be matched with multiple QXP PCIe cards to connect to TL SATA JBOD storage enclosure or users can use one QXP-800eS to expand two TL-D400S (there are no quantity limits except for restrictions mentioned in the previous note).
4. The TL SATA JBOD and QXP SATA expansion card support at most 1 meter (3.28 feet) long cable.
5. Users of the TVS-871U-RP, TVS-1271U-RP, and x80 series NAS must update their BIOS to the minimum BIOS version. If not, unexpected boot failures might occur.
Learn More:QXP PCIe Cards
TL-D400S Offers Better Performance Than Other USB and eSATA JBOD Solutions
The TL-D400S features SFF-8088 (or SFF-8644) connectivity and multiple SATA 6Gb/s bays. This provides better sequential read performance and faster data transfer speeds than existing USB and eSATA expansion enclosures, while also being a more economical option compared to a QNAP REXP SAS enclosure.
Extend hardware warranty up to 5 years
The TL-D400S is backed by a 2-year warranty at no additional costs. You can purchase a warranty extension that extends your warranty coverage up to 5 years.
|Drive Bay||4 x 3.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s, 3Gb/s|
|Drive Compatibility||3.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
2.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
2.5-inch SATA solid state drives
|Audio Alert On/Off Switch|
|Host Interface||1 x SFF-8088|
|LED Indicators||HDD 1-4, Status, Link, Fan error|
|Dimensions (HxWxD)||168.5 × 160.2 × 219 mm|
|Weight (Net)||3.66 kg|
|Max. number of HDDs/SSDs supported||4|
|Hard Drive Type||3.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
2.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
2.5-inch SATA solid state drives
|Operating temperature||0 – 40 °C (32°F – 104°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5-95% RH non-condensing, wet bulb: 27˚C (80.6˚F)|
|Power Supply Unit||65W adapter, 100 – 240V|
|Power Consumption: Operating Mode, Typical||
Tested fully polulated with Seagate ST6000NM0024 hard drives.
|Fan Mode Switch||(Auto, high, medium, low)|
|Fan||1 x 120mm, 12VDC|
|Sound Level||20.1 db(A)|
|Kensington Security Slot|
* Sound Level Test Environment: Refer to ISO 7779; Maximum HDD loaded; Bystander Position; Average data from 1 meter in front of operating NAS.
Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.